At least 10 children were taken to the hospital after being given gum containing “pepper” during recess at Dexter Park School in Orange, Massachusetts. The gum was purchased online by a student and offered to multiple students, causing burning in the mouth and esophagus when ingested and skin reactions when touched. The Orange Fire Department transported six students to the hospital, while others were taken by their parents or ambulances from nearby towns. The gum contains the same active ingredient as police pepper spray and has a 16 million Scoville Heat Unit rating. The incident may be connected to a viral TikTok trend known as the “TikTok gum challenge.” School officials plan to take appropriate disciplinary action and remind students about the school’s wellness policy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *